I didn’t make a lot of progress toward my goals in February, and it felt a lot like a month of treading water. That said, our house is coming together, I’m starting to figure out our new routines, and most importantly, we’re happy, so the important stuff is all well and good.
- Read 20 books, roughly alternating between fiction and non-fiction. Chronicle those books on GoodReads. One and a half down. Eighteen and a half to go.
- Use the Habit List app to track daily habits. Solidly on track here.
- Learn how to use my fancy DSLR camera. Use it to take pictures of family and other things that inspire me. No progress here.
- Learn basic Photoshop. Or at the very least, Lightroom! Nope.
- Continue to devour and sift through parenting advice. Absolutely. All the time.
- Bring art back into my life, either by creating art myself or supporting artists I love. At least once a week, visit a museum, go to a concert or performance, take a dance class, make or create something. This month I was pretty off track on this goal. Other than watching a few dance performances on YouTube and discovering a painter whose art I’m excited to buy for Ali’s room, not much art graced my life in February.
- Create weekly “sprint” goals and check in with those goals every Sunday. Weekly reflections haven’t been happening. 🙁
- Reflect on the last day of every month on my progress toward these 2017 goals. Rewrite or add goals as necessary. Plan the work. Work the plan. Doing it now!
- Learn more about the basic principles of interior design and use them to create spaces we love in our new home. Getting there! Ali’s room is our next project, and I’m excited about the pieces I’ve chosen.
- Travel somewhere ambitious. Europe, perhaps. We haven’t gone yet, but we just booked flights to Hong Kong. That has to count for green!
- Take at least two cooking classes. Not yet.
- Cook at least one new recipe every week. We keep sticking to our old standbys. Time to spice it up. (Duh dun chh.)
- Learn to do something moderately interesting with my hair. Hahahaha. Nope. Still rocking the sad mom bun.
- Rid my closet of old styles that no longer suit me and replace them with both timeless and of-the-moment pieces I love. I haven’t Marie Kondo’ed my closet yet, but I did just place a massive order with Nordstrom. Hopefully I’ll actually like and keep some of the things I ordered.
- Throw weekly dinner parties. Doing it. Loving it.
- This is the year! Create and manufacture an MVP by March. Set up website. Sell product. Gain a following. Sell more product. Getting there, but it turns out building a prototype is really fricken hard.
Many Thing Megan
- Write at least one blog per week for Many Things Megan. Alternating between parenting-focused and something else-focused. This is only my third blog in February, so I slacked a bit.
- Share articles on other websites, like Scary Mommy, Pregnant Chicken, and other sites with a sense of humor. Get at least three articles published externally in 2017. Not yet, but there’s still time.
Health & Fitness
- Prioritize self-care. Spend at least 30 minutes on myself each day, doing yoga, getting acupuncture or a massage, going for a run, climbing, whatever… as long as it’s for me. I have been doing this, but not consistently and definitely not every day.
- Continue to eat fresh, organic, healthy foods. Work hard to find farms and butchers that produce meat ethically. Buy from them as exclusively as possible. (Side note: Get a chest freezer!) Yes on the healthy. Work in progress on the butcher.
- Climb at least one 5.12a by yearend! Climb 5.11c’s and V5’s consistently. In addition to the 5.12a I tried last month, I tried a new 5.12a this month, and even though I fell like a dozen times, I made it 90% of the way to the top and it was a beast of a problem. I have faith I’ll get this one.
- Climb outside at least once. Not yet.
- Remaster the seated straddle press to handstand. Not yet, but I’m working on it!
- Learn crow to handstand. Not even close…
- Even out and strengthen my left side. I’ve been working on this a couple days a week, but it needs to be part of my daily routine. My left side is so effed.
Community & Giving Back
- Find a San Francisco organization worth joining and join it. Help make it better. Not yet!